Responding to my daughter’s open tag.
In this tag, a bunch of Harry Potter spells each carry a question which you have to answer. All of them are book related. I really am not sure who to tag. If any of you are interested in doing this, well, um, I officially tag you! You can do this!
1) EXPECTO PATRONUM (a childhood book connected with good memories)
Not “a” for sure.
The Prince and the Pauper (Mark Twain). Scarlet Pimpernel (Emma Orczy). Little Women (Louisa May Alcot). The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas), A song of six pence (A. J. Cronin)
2) EXPELLIARMUS (a book that took you by surprise)
Lolita (Nabakov). I was very squeamish about reading it, given the premise, but it is a wonderfully written book.
3) PRIOR INCANTATO (the last book you read)
Pigs have Wings (Wodehouse)
4) ALOHOMORA (a book that introduced you to a genre you hadn’t considered before)
Rendezvous with Rama (Clarke): Science fiction.
5) RIDDIKULUS (a funny book you have read)
6) SONOROS (a book you think everyone should know about)
Nope, not my style to recommend. But Anna Karenina (Tolstoy) comes to mind. And Transit of Venus (Shirley Hazard)
7) OBLIVIATE (a book or spoiler you would like to forget having read)
Never read spoilers. Book: A Thousand Acres (Smiley)
8) IMPERIO (a book you had to read for school)
All of the answers to the first question
9) CRUCIO (a book that was painful to read)
It is too judgemental to call any book painful. I didn’t like the following books: A Thousand Acres (Smiley). And Vishnupuram (Tamil: Jeyamohan) . Does not mean the books were bad. They just didn’t appeal to me.
10) AVADA KEDAVRA (a book that can kill (interpret as you will))